Following data retention guidelines provides safeguards and benefits to the University as well as to investigators.
When considering data retention guidelines, keep these questions in mind:
- How long are you required to keep research data? Who/what decides?
- What is at risk if research data are not retained?
- What entities typically impose data retention restrictions on research projects?
- Where should the data be maintained during the retention period?
- How should data be destroyed once the retention period has been completed?
Think about these questions as you read the case study on the next page.